Wednesday, November 7, 2007

My joy and obsession

Most anyone who reads this knows me well and knows I love to read. It is one of my greatest joys and obsessions. As well, many well know my favorite series is the Drizzt Do'Urden one by R.A. Salvatore. I believe him (the author) to be acclaimed because of his prowess and skill at writing intense battle skills, both one-on-one and large scale all-out wars. But whilst that focus is placed by many critics (as positive feedback of course, he's not received New York Times best seller on most every book in the series for nothing), I think they forget to point out what Drizzt and friends are fighting for, and my deeper reason for this being my favorite series. Hopefully this insight into Drizzt's beliefs can what Salvatore's books teach:
"What of fidelity and loyalty? Complete trust? Faith is not granted by tangible proof. It comes from the heart and the soul. If a person needs proof of a god's existence, then the very notion of spirituality is diminished into sensuality and we have reduced what is holy into what is logical. -- Drizzt Do'Urden."
and also: "Hope is the key. The future will be better than the past, or the present. Without this belief, there is only the self-indulgent, ultimately empty striving of the present...or simple despair, the time of life wasted in waiting for death. -- Drizzt Do'Urden"
Now I could go on and on, but need not do so. This is why I love these books, it is whole series about one character going against all odds to stand up for truth, faith, morals, hope, and all good things; abandoning the only world he ever knew, to know a better one. What better lessons and gospel truths contained in fantasy fiction than those portrayed by R.A. Salvatore.

2 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

dang you ... now i might have to start reading them.

love you bro.

Nicole Shelby said...

Ditto.
What use is there in fighting - except as necessary by ideals and stretching of the soul? Fighting is not a goal in and of itself...but a tool - for freedom.

Ah...and the origin story of Drizzt. Where a lone man - among his family and complete society - realizes that there is more to life than the seeking prestige or of power over another. And acts upon those urgings in his soul.

I do love Salvatore as well. But, it's been too long. Time for a reunion.