Wednesday, May 27, 2009

New Job



Finally, it has happened. I got my first accounting job.

Let me go back. Last Thursday, I had an interview with the County of San Bernardino, in the first 30 seconds to 1 minute of the interview, the interviewer said: "Your grades and resume look great, so do you want the job?" I was not expecting this in a first interview so I asked for time to think about it. We went through the rest of the interview and he said he'd call on Wednesday.

This internship was my second choice, so almost immediately after the interview I called my friend Clemente at the firm that I want to work for, Vicenti Lloyd Stutzman, LLP (or VLS). Within an hour of calling Clemente, the person who had done my first interview at VLS back in October called me directly, and set up an interview for the very next day (Friday).

Friday came (the next day, but boy was I anxious), and the interview was first thing in the morning at VLS before I had to be at work. It went great! I was there for about an hour and a half and met with one of the partners and one of the seniors. After the interview the senior gave me a firm tour and I got to meet some of the other staff, and see a couple of my friends who worked there. Clemente and another employee I know there both came out and talked to me before the interview to help calm the nerves as well.

Because of the offer on the table from the County, VLS was great and had organized this interview for the internship just for me. They said they would contact me early this week with their answer.

So yesterday, another one of the partners called me up and made me an offer for the internship position this summer that would start on July 13th. Obviously I accepted, and so will be beginning my dream job at my the firm I wanted to all along! You can't even believe how ecstatic I was. What a great feeling. Then today, even though it was a great opportunity, I had to decline the offer officially from the County (and I don't think many people have the opportunity to decline job offers in this market).

Needless to say, this has been a great past couple of days with everything falling into place perfectly. I can only thank my Heavenly Father for these many blessings.

5 comments:

Heidi Maloy said...

Congratulations! Scott, I know you wanted this, and I'm so happy to see things falling into place for you guys! You deserve it... Congrats, Congrats! I expect the next post to be about how you celebrated, haha!

T.J. Shelby said...

Awesome brother! Congrats. You'll do great!

Christopher Maloy said...

HELL YEAH BROTHER!!! Keep your eye on the prize and you will succeed beyond your wildest dreams.

I am very proud of you.

Jodi Jean said...

HUZZAH! i'm so proud of you! you are so dang awesome. thanks for spending time with us on saturday, we had a BLAST!

Risa West said...

that's great. i am excited for you. i hear it's hard to get accounting jobs out there...